Since we are trying to keep with the “simple” theme we’ve been attempting lately,and because we need to cook more fish dishes, we wanted to present you with cod and potatoes in avgolemono. Not only the ingredients, but oh my how simple it is to put together and cook, makes this a recipe to try when you are out of time and ready to eat. Not to mention, it’s not high in calories so you do not feel guilty for eating this “fast food” either. It was a new recipe we created based off a few different recipes, and one that we were willing to try mainly because of the sauce that the fish is cooked in. I cannot get enough of the avgolemono. Seriously, on everything, with anything, all of the time. Yes, please. I mean sheesh, my go to meal is the chicken or meatball with avgolemono because it is tasty (seriously flavorful), low in calories, and a set it and forget it type of meal. I’m getting a little excited specifically because we are having an off night tonight and making tacos, not Greek food. Oh how I wish I were 🙂
I will add that we have found cod to be an extremely versatile (and economical) fish. It really absorbs flavors, and is a great fish for people that aren’t a fan – no fishy taste and is extremely mild.
I had fun with this photo shoot. One of those times where everything comes together perfect and all of the props look just put together effortlessly and my camera angles and techniques were perfect (well, in my opinion anyway). That does not always happen, believe you me. In fact, I normally get frustrated because I am such a perfectionist that it’s rare that I feel so comfortable with a way a shoot turned out. In any case, this was not one of those times. That’s one main element we’ve been working hard on, is improving our photos. There is so much time and love spent in the kitchen creating these recipes, we want to attempt to showcase that with our pictures.
We hope you enjoy this delicious fish recipe! We’re in the process of creating more fish based dishes, so look out for those soon 🙂
- 2 pieces of cod
- 1 pound baby red potatoes (cut into halves or fourths - to preference)
- ¼ cup onions (chopped)
- 2 cups chicken broth (may substitute water)
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Fill pan with chicken broth (or water) and bring to boil.
- Add cod, potatoes, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 25 min or until tender.
- For Avgolemono sauce:
- Beat 2 eggs in bowl.
- Add juice from one lemon.
- While stirring, slowly ladle hot liquid from fish pan into egg bowl.
- Stir for few seconds, then add egg lemon mixture back into pan with fish.
- Stir and mix well.
- Taste- if desired, add more lemon.
- Remove from heat, serve in bowl along side some bread.