The wonderful dip that is Greek hummus. This dish is popular in many countries and with each adding it’s twist. Admittedly, this isn’t Greek hummus recipe per se, but rather a tradition Hummus recipe, but we’re a Greek food site, soo.. 🙂
Hummus is basically mashed chickpeas with a few other ingredients. It’s very good for you and taste great on breads and veggies.
I personally use it in place of mayonnaise or mustered when making a sandwich.
When I was little, it was my job to mash the chickpeas by hand, now thankfully, we have a food processor. However, don’t be surprised if you see people doing it the old fashioned way while visiting Greece.
Simple and taste amazing!
PS. If you’re unable to find tahini at your local store, you can make it! We normally do this.
Hummus requires tahini – here’s the recipe so you can make it at home vs. buying the bottle.
- Place 1 ⅓ cup sesame seeds on a baking sheet, spread out evenly.
- Bake at 350F for 8 minutes, shaking 3 times during cook time–don’t let it get brown.
- Remove and let cool.
- Once cool, add seeds to food processor and add 1/8 cup vegetable oil and mix until smooth paste forms- you may need to add more oil accordingly. You’re homemade tahini is ready to be used.
PPS. Like red peppers? Check out: Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
This is a recipe for traditional hummus. Goes great with everything.
- 1 garlic clove
- 14.5 oz can garbanzo beans
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini, see recipe above to make your own!
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, may need more to create paste
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more olive oil if too thick.
- Transfer to bowl and top with a little extra pepper and a little olive oil.
This Mediterranean dish is used all throughout Greece. It goes well with bread, olives, vegetables, and crackers.
**Use this as a base, some like more garlic and or more lemon. Stare here, and adjust to fit your taste preference**
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Leave a Reply