In Greek: ( σπαράγγι με φέτα)
This is one of my favorite appetizers for a few reasons: it’s quick and incredibly flavorful. Sometimes that’s all I need in order to come up with a great snack idea. With this particular recipe, I like how it can be something eaten alone or alongside a main dish. It has a zesty flavor that is no doubt thanks to the lemon zest as well as the juice. Also, you get a small kick of spice with every bite. Absolutely wonderful!
The asparagus stays crisp because it is roasted in the oven instead of sautéed on the stovetop. For me, this makes the vegetable that much more delectable. If I am going to have a softer veggie, it’s usually in a soup base or cooked inside a pastry. After being baked, the still firm feta cheese that is on top is my favorite part. Every crunchy bite has a hint of the salty and mouthwatering cheese that you just can’t resist.
Do yourself a favor and take 20 mins out of your day to prepare this amazing dish. You won’t regret it! καλή όρεξη!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ lbs fresh crisp asparagus
- 3-4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 3 garlic cloves
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- sea salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 lemon (juice of, no seeds)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil, lemon zest, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano in a pan over low heat until garlic becomes golden and oil becomes fragrant; remove from heat. (see photo)
- Cut ends off of asparagus and discard.
- Toss asparagus pieces with olive oil mixture (see photo) and arrange in single layer on a baking sheet.
- Season asparagus with salt and pepper and crumble feta cheese on top.
- Bake at 400F for 10 mins or until cooked through. (see photo)
- Squeeze lemon juice over the asparagus.
- Serve hot.