Mmmm, Greek stuffed peppers with Cheese. Normally, I tend to stay away from spicy food. Not that I don’t like it–I do; however, I just can’t seem to handle it without a ton of water. However, I was visiting Greece a few trips ago and after a long day we nestled up in a local taverna and my θεία (theia – aunt) ordered these.
When they arrived at the table I laughed and knew I wouldn’t be trying them. She put up a fight and I finally gave in, and what do you know–green peepers aren’t always hot!
What I discovered was these sweet green peppers combined with the saltiness of the Greek cheese made an amazing flavor and one I was sad I had waited so long to try. Seriously, I love these things now.
This Greek stuffed peppers with Cheese recipe below has its heart in the taverna where we ate this meze – I’ve added the parsley and frying method (you can bake these from 25-30min at 375F or until soft).
I believe frying them makes them taste amazing and the olive oil complements the dish nicely. When we make these, we tend to use Anaheim peppers, but feel free to use whatever you like.
As always—let me know what you think! Also, don’t forget to check out our other Greek appetizer recipes.
καλή όρεξη (kali orexi – enjoy your meal!)
Greek stuffed peppers with Cheese
These are a tasty little treat I once had in Greek with some Ouzo. καλή όρεξη (kali orexi – enjoy your meal!)
- 6 peppers of your choice, we tend to go for mild peppers
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crumbled Greek cheese, Feta or Kefalotyri - or a mixture of your favorite
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Some Sea salt and Pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- 1/2 lemon
- Wash peppers, cut off the top and remove seeds.
- Beat egg and pour in bowl with grated cheese and mix.
- Add parsley, some Sea salt and pepper, mix well.
- Stuff each pepper with cheese mixture.*
- Heat pan with olive oil, once hot, add peppers and fry until soft.
- Remove, set on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Put the Greek stuffed peppers with Cheese on a plate and squeeze lemon over them.
* Adding a piece of bread to each pepper before placing on pan will help keep the cheese mixture from coming out.
Want to skip frying? You can also bake these for 25-30min at 375F, or until soft.
Pro tip: use gloves when cleaning or the seeds to prevent them from burning your hands due to their spice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Leave a Reply