Caramelized onions are one of my favorite things to make. They just add such a delicious flavor to dishes. Combine them with feta and phyllo and wow, you’ve got a delicious snack on your hands.
If there’s one thing we like to do it’s host people. We enjoy the company and serving up some delicious food. We always try to create something from scratch that our family or friends wouldn’t have often. We also love making taps or some form of small dishes to present to our guests.
There is somethings special about gathering around the kitchen counter and eating, laughing, and maybe having a glass of wine or two. It’s a unique experience that binds us, that brings joy, and ensures lasting relationships.
With all this in mind, we came up with these little treats. The salty feta pairs so well with the acidity of the onions and the fact that they are served in buttery phyllo just makes them delicious.
Caramelized Onions And Feta Phyllo Cups
These are actually pretty easy to make and even easier to devour. The key here really is to make sure you give the onions the time they need to caramelize. You’ll probably need at least 30 minutes for them to get that tasty flavor and perfect color. I promise however, it’s worth it. For this recipe, we just used our Metaxa caramelized onions recipe minus the Metaxa (however feel free to add it in if you’d like!)
Once the onions are done, it’s just assembling them and a quick 10-15 minutes bake and they’re ready to be served. If you love Caramelized onions, you’re going to love this recipe!
- Caramelized onions:
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 3 sheets of phyllo, cut in half horizontally and then into thirds vertically**
- Muffin pan
- Melt butter in pan.
- Add onions and mix to coat.
- Cook onions for 15 minutes and then add sugar.
- Continuing cooking for another 15 to 20 minutes or until caramelized, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Now, we’ll prepare the phyllo cups.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Brush muffin pan with some butter.
- Brush 1 sheet of phyllo and place it in the muffin cup, repeat 2 more times slightly rotating them.
- Once done, sprinkle the bottoms with some feta, then add a spoonful of the caramelized onions in each phyllo cup.
- Top with some more feta and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove, plate, and serve you delicious Caramelized Onions And Feta Phyllo Cups!
**See this picture for clarity.
Serving: we used a muffin pan that made 6, so that's why the serving is set at that. If your pan can hold more, the servings will alter. Recipe can be doubled as needed.