All hail Spanakopita (σπανακόπιτα)!!
A very well known Spinach pie outside of Greece, the famous Spanakopita recipe! You can find this served for breakfast as well as next to your main dish. What a tasty and satisfying appetizer that is so well known in the U.S. The flaky phyllo dough gives that perfect crunch right before you taste the creamy spinach and cheese filling. This particular recipe shows how this dish can be made in a pie form, however, there are other (and perhaps more well known) ways to make it as well.
In Greece, you will most often find it served this way versus in small triangles that you can find here in the USA.
Spanakopita | Greek Spinach Pie
For a variation (and to get them to look like they do in stores), you can layer the phyllo and cut into strips, add spinach mix, and wrap into triangle shapes. Place on baking sheet and cook.
A good tip when working with phyllo dough: when not using it–keep it covered with a damp towel/paper towel so it doesn’t dry out and crack. You’d be surprised how quickly this starts to happen. Enjoy this treat with family and friends. καλή όρεξη!
Let us know how our Spanakopita recipe turns out!
- 1/2 cup Greek olive oil
- 1 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bags spinach, 20 ounces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 8 ounces Greek feta, crumbled
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 lb packages phyllo dough
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until onions are soft.
- Add spinach, dill, oregano, lemon, and lemon zest, mix well.*
- Cook for 10 minutes
- While cooking, add eggs to separate bowl, and beat with fork until well mixed.
- Remove from heat and add feta cheese, eggs, pepper, mix until well incorporated.
- Take one sheet of phyllo and lay it down flat in pan and brush with a light coating of melted butter
- Repeat about 9 more times to have 10 pieces of phyllo total.
- Pour Spinach cheese mixture over phyllo, spread evenly.
- Repeat #8 until you have 10 more sheets of phyllo over spinach mixture (sheet, butter, sheet)
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until golden brown
- Enjoy your Spanakopita!
* We actually cook this in a tall pot, like what you would use to make soup. This way you can add the spinach bag one at a time, and cook it down. The spinach will wilt, so do not worry about it fitting in the pot.
**This make about 9 pieces in our 9 x 9 inch pan.
***For a variation (and to get them to look like they do in stores), you can layer the phyllo and cut into strips, add spinach mix to one end, and fold up into a triangle shape and place on baking sheet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g