Greek Eggplant Dip | Melitzanosalata | Μελιτζανοσαλατα is a popular side dish/dip served with meat, fish or bread. It has a smoky flavor due to the way it is cooked quickly in a broiler or on a barbecue. The trifecta of lemon, olive oil and garlic really bring you to another world as you dip and enjoy. You have to be an eggplant fan (obviously) if you want to gain the true value of this appetizer. You can always use a little less eggplant and add some yogurt in its place if you want to try this without being overwhelmed by eggplant. I have known people in the past to try and blend the ingredients in a food processor to make it a little easier on themselves. However, I think when you crush everything together by hand, it gives it a more authentic texture.
Note: If you do not want to use a broiler, you can use a BBQ. It can either be placed directly on grill or wrapped in foil. καλή όρεξη!
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- ⅛ cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil (or desired amount)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pierce eggplants with fork a few times and place on the BBQ for 10-15min turning every few minutes. Alternatively, place under the broiler for 10-15 min, or until soft (and turns black).
- Remove and let cool.
- Remove outer skin (black part) by hand, should come off easy.
- Cut the eggplants into pieces.
- Place in a large bowl and add parsley and garlic.
- Mix in the lemon juice and olive oil and crush eggplants with a fork.
- Add in Sea salt and pepper.
- Serve Greek Eggplant Dip with bread!