The other night Jane asked me what we should do for dinner. I told her I had a taste for lamb but I wanted to do something different with it. We’ve had the normal lamp chops, baked lamb, and lamb sliders, but what about stuffing it in a veggie?
We’re no stranger to stuffing things in a zucchini (wow thats an old picture), we like working with that vegetable, so we decided to go that route.
I am a big fan of cooking with wine. I just think it introduces a nice flavor to the dish, and we get to have a glass with dinner, so it’s a win win. For those wondering, we don’t get anything special, just whatever is on sale (red for meat and white for fish).
We both thought that a few nice pieces of creamy goat cheese would be great on top so we included that.
We created the base which included what we had in the fridge. We think it turned out amazing and we hope you’ll agree.
What we learned
- The mixture of cinnamon, wine, and tomato paste work really well with lamb. It creates a lovely smell that envelopes the house and will put a smile on your face (it did for us anyhow).
- When scooping out the inside of the zucchini, go slow. When you get down to the bottom, it becomes easy to have your spoon go right through or even break the zucchini, hence the above photo where it’s shown in two pieces 🙂
- We thoroughly cooked the lamb before adding it to the zucchini. We thought we could get away with this since we had a nice amount of liquid in the beginning that the lamb absorbed. It turned out ok, and it wasn’t dry at all!
Lamb And Goat Cheese Stuffed Zucchini
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup of zucchini meat
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 gloves garlic pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Goat cheese for topping
- salt and pepper
- Cut a rectangular piece out of the top of the zucchini. Don't go from end to end, keep at least 1inch gap.
- Scoop out inside using a spoon. Discard all except 1 cups worth.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add copped onions. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add red wine, garlic, cinnamon, tomato paste, and 1 cup zucchini meat. mix
- Add lamb, salt and pepper, and cook lamb to desired preference.
- Remove and stuff meat mixture inside each zucchini.
- Place in ovensafe dish.
- Put in preheated oven at 350F for 30-40min, until zucchini is tender.
- Remove, add pieces of goat cheese, and put back in for a few minutes to soften.
- Take out of oven and plate.