-Hi everyone, this is our second autopost. As you may know Jane and I are on vacation and will be back at the end of October-
Let me tell you about this recipe right here. This recipe to date has been pre-blog made more times than any other. What I mean is that we made it more times than any other recipe before we were happy enough to post it.
Let me talk about the failures. Since we got our KitchenAid mixer, I’ve been dying to make ice cream. It’s my favorite food group 🙂
Well, being Greek, and having a love for pistachios that’s been with me since birth, I wanted to try to make– pistachio ice cream!
I found a generic base for vanilla and then started to get creative. Round one ended horribly. Okay, we thought, back to the ice cream drawing board.
We then tried to remake it altering everything, and it came out like ice cream, but is wasn’t sweet. It was weird. Eating ice cream that wasn’t sweet at all, it didn’t seem normal. Round two done.
We tried a third time. Yes, that’s the determination we had to get this right. It came out alright, but Jane felt there were too many ground pistachios, so we tried again.
The fourth time in, and it came out amazing! It was the best pistachio ice cream I’d ever had. You might say, well obviously you’re going to think that since you made it three previous times, and you may be right. But it was so good that me, Jane, and my family ate the whole thing—forgetting to shoot it!
Oh man, I’ve never forgot to shoot a dish before. Okay, round five, and here it is!
I should mention this is over the course of a month and a half. It was supposed to be a summer recipe, but hey things happen so we’re delivering it in October. I’d still eat it in October, doesn’t need to be hot for me.
Without further ado, here is our take on Pistachio ice cream.
Pistachio Ice Cream
Delicious pistachio ice cream
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, finely ground
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whole pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Add ground pistachios and 1/4 cup of the sugar to a pan.
- Add milk and bring to boil.
- Add vanilla, stir and remove from heat.
- Add the 5 egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a bowl, and mix well.
- Temper the egg yolks by taking a ladle's worth of hot milk from the pan and pouring into the bowl with the eggs, constantly stirring.
- Add back to heat and cook for 7-10 minutes over medium-low heat, don't let it boil.
- Once done, strain into bowl*
- Place in refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge, and mix in heavy cream and the 1/2 cup of whole pistachios.
- Turn on ice cream maker, slowly pour mixture into ice cream maker and proceed as directed, churning for about 10-12 minutes .
- Empty into freezer safe bowl and let chill for 2 hours (or as long as you can manage)
- Remove from freezer and serve!
* When straining, you're going to need to use the back end of a spoon and stir to help the cream come through and leave the pistachio bits behind.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse
Leave a Reply