Taramosalata has a wonderful flavor that is reminiscent of lox on a bagel. It is rich and salty but like many Mediterranean dishes, the ingredients are good for you. Consuming fish roe is one of the many ways to get your Omega-3 fatty acids as well as protein.
Also, olive oil, as we’ve mentioned many times on our site, is an excellent source of healthy fat and contains antioxidants.
Serve Taramosalata as a meze (with Ouzo) and a side of cucumbers, bread or other vegetables. καλή όρεξη (kali orexi – enjoy your meal!)
- 4 slices day old French or white bread
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tbsp of taramas, Carp Roe
- 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Break bread in to small pieces and soak in water to soften - squeeze out excess water and set aside.
- Put onion in food processor (If you don’t like onions – leave them out).
- Add taramas, lemon juice, and 1/2 of olive oil; blend until paste begins to form.
- Add in bread, remaining olive oil, and blend again until smooth paste.
- Garnish with a few Kalamata olives and serve with bread!
If you're not a fan of onions, you can leave them out.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g