The traditional Greek salad, doesn’t have one main ingredient we see outside of Greece–lettuce! The Horiatiki Salad (Villagers Salad) is the original Greek salad most people know about outside of Greece. However, one major difference between the two, is that the traditional Greek salad doesn’t have lettuce. Also worth noting, the feta that is in the salad is not crumbled like we would normally see, rather, a full sliced is merely placed on top and covered with olive oil and oregano. Give it a try. It’s very easy to make! καλή όρεξη (kali orexi – enjoy your meal!)
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into medium chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into medium chunks
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into medium chunks
- 1 slice Greek feta cheese
- Pinch dried Greek oregano
- ¼ cup top quality extra virgin olive oil
- 12 Kalamata olives
- Squirt of lemon and Sea salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients (except feta) into a bowl and mix.
- Top with sliced feta.
- Drizzle some olive oil over traditional Greek salad and extra oregano if you'd like.
**Some areas also mix in small fish (e.g. anchovies). If you do this, since the fish is salty, I wouldn't add salt.