I wouldn’t quite say this is a hodge podge of ingredients, but when you’re ready to sit down and eat it, it would seem Yuvetsi Kritharaki Me Kima is a mix of random items in your fridge and cupboards. Kenton and I would often refer to this dish as “bean dip.” When we looked at it from the side, it had all of these layers. Silly, maybe, but it was the first thing that came to mind! The dish is not misleading though; it is a casserole in every sense. It doesn’t take much to make it taste good. That’s the beauty of it.
Recently I went over to my girlfriend’s house and she made us a casserole for girls’ night. She didn’t boast about it being fancy, rather, it was something familiar, something comfortable. I think that is a perfect way to describe this dish. It’s like being back home again, mom in the kitchen making that one dish that smells like everything but also something specific. Sitting around the table (if you did that sort of thing) and talking about your day. That’s what Kenton and I did. We first had a great time making it and an even better time eating it. Oh yeah, and did I mention, leftovers? It’s perrrffecct for that!
Well I urge you, tonight, to sit around and discuss what you did, where you went, and how you felt as you take a bite of this beautiful mixture and enjoy. Kali Orexi!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Sea salt & Pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth, can use chicken broth if preferred
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- Heat oiled pan over med heat.
- Add ground beef, break apart.
- Cook for 5 min, stirring.
- Add onion, zucchini, cinnamon stick, tomato paste, Sea salt, pepper, 1 cup warm water.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 min.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Pour meat mixture into casserole dish.
- Add beef broth.
- Add orzo.
- Place in oven and bake at 350F for 40min or until orzo is soft.
- With 5min left, sprinkle top with feta.
- Once done, serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g